Sunday, July 24, 2011

It Begins.

Already started on this awhile back but I decided since I've begone to under go a more serious mentality towards finishing this then a mere side project I'd start logging progress I make.
The game is still in earlier development and I'm working on getting the Engine done, before I build the game around it.

Before I go into whats done I guess I should talk about what the game is and what I hopefully plan for it to be.

It's a Survival Horror/RPG esqe game akin to Sweet Home for the NES, which has mostly inspired this game along with many other Survival horror titles I've played.
The game will focus a lot on the survival aspect and will not be incredibly long, due to that there will be no saving, no continues or check points. Once you're dead, that's it. You'll have control of two characters, who you will need to work together in order to survive. When a Character dies, it's the the end for that character, but the other man continue to try and finish the game.

So that leaves the game with 3 possible endings, either both survive, or only one of the other. The characters can die in a multitude of ways along with being killed in battle to dieing from events that happen outside of battles, like pitfalls and the such, these are all events you can survive of course if you can get your partner to help.

Game is a top down view RPG like, where there are enemies on the map and if that catch you it prompts a battle, you have control of both characters separately and switch between them at hand, even during battles. So you may encounter an enemy then switch to your partner so he may run in from whats he's doing to come help out.
Like any good survival horror the game will also feature puzzles, some cooperative some not. But I will allow for methods in which the cooperative puzzles may be done solo if your partner has died.

That's it for that, story wise the game is still underdeveloped and I haven't completely worked it all out yet so there's nothing definite i'm going to say about that.

So far completed:
-Movement
-Switching system(Shift can switch between the characters, in and out of battle.)
-Inventory mostly done(You are able to pick up and drop items in and out of your inventory, but the use function is not done yet.)
-Static rooms and room changing(You can go into different rooms, drop items and they will stay there switch between characters in different rooms and they maintain position.)
-Text system(Dialog for normal talking is done, with a custom font built in as well multiple choice boxes for such things as picking up items.)
-Basic Battle System(Initiation set up with monster place holder information done as well as the Attack and run commands. Time bar is up and working and health bar.)
-HUD(For checking who is currently active and the health status of each character)

Update:(What i got done today)
Today I mostly was fixing up some stuff and getting to know my old code again as well as fixing up some graphics on the menus.
I changed from having two active statuses for both Quinn and Rogue and switched it to one active called Stage making things more flexible adding a new variable cActive for which character is active. This required me to do a lot of rewriting of my former code which actually helped me see where I left things at. Also commented a lot of previous work I did after sussing out what did what to keep things clear.
Also fixed a small glitch that kept the inactive character still in battle after the monster is killed.

No comments:

Post a Comment